If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto collision, you may want to hire a car accident lawyer Brooklyn NY trusts. Laurence C. Tarowsky Attorney At Law has been helping people just like you for over 26 years. Guided by experience, skills, and a positive mindset, Laurence C. Tarowsky is dedicated to serving victims throughout the local community. As a Brooklyn car accident lawyer, we understand what you may be going through. You likely have a lot of unanswered questions — in addition to anxiety, anger, and physical pain. We are here for you. To schedule your consultation with a car accident lawyer in Brooklyn NY, call our office at 212-947-2099.
Whether you are in need of money for medical bills and repairs to your car, or when you need a legal professional to step in and deal with pesky insurance companies, a car accident lawyer Brooklyn NY residents rely on from our firm may help you to get back on your feet as quickly as possible.
Do You Have a Car Accident Claim?
Immediately following a car accident, you might wonder whether or not you have a legitimate claim and if you even need a car accident lawyer in Brooklyn NY. In order to collect monetary compensation, you generally must prove the following criteria:
- The car accident resulted, at least partially, from another person’s (or entity’s) negligence or carelessness
- The accident directly led to serious injuries
There may also be other factors to take into consideration, which is why you should consult with a car accident lawyer Brooklyn NY respects for further advice. You can also learn what constitutes negligence and “serious” injuries. Should your accident meet the criteria needed to file a claim, our office may begin to establish a strong defense on your behalf.
What to Do When Contacted by the Insurance Company
At some point you may be contacted by representatives of your insurance company or the negligent party’s insurance carrier. Although you are typically required to let your own insurance company know what happened, you do not have to speak with another provider. Regardless of what they tell you, it may be in your best interest to politely decline to talk. Instead, you may let them know a car accident lawyer Brooklyn NY offers will be in touch. This can be a wise method of handling the situation, because the insurance company might manipulate what you say to make it look like you were partially/totally responsible. They might also attempt to coerce you into settling for an amount that is much lower than what you need and deserve.
Examples of Qualifying Injuries
Regardless of what caused your accident, your physical injuries should be your number one concern. For this reason, you shouldn’t hesitate to see a doctor for all of your pain. Common injuries a car accident lawyer Brooklyn NY depends on might see can include, but are not limited to:
- Broken bones and severe sprains
- Cuts and lacerations
- Burns (including chemical)
- Head, neck, and spinal injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Brain damage
- Nerve damage
- Muscle, ligaments, or tissue tears
- Loss of limb
- Wrongful death
What Types of Financial Damages Can a Car Accident Lawyer Brooklyn NY Victims Trust Pursue?
Injuries from a car accident can range from minor to catastrophic. Each case will have its own set of circumstances which may affect the amount of compensation the victim can receive. When you meet with a car accident lawyer Brooklyn NY provides, he or she can go over all the factors of your case to determine a fair and just amount based on the losses you have suffered as a result of the crash.
A seasoned car accident lawyer Brooklyn NY families turn to knows there are certain expenses that New York tort law says a car accident victim is entitled to receive. These expenses include:
- All past and future medical expenses. These expenses include emergency room treatment, hospital stays, surgeries, rehabilitation stays, doctor’s appointments, medical equipment and devices, medications (both prescriptions and those purchased over the counter), physical therapy, occupational therapy, mental health therapy, and transportation costs to get back and forth to all medical appointments. If the injuries the victim has suffered require any type of modification to their home and/or vehicle, those expenses may also be covered.
- Loss of income. If a victim was unable to work because of their injuries, they are entitled to receive reimbursement for those lost wages. That also included reimbursement for any benefits they used to cover that loss of income, such as vacation or sick days. If the victim’s injuries are so severe they are unable to return to the type of work they had before the crash, or they are unable to work at all, the law says they are also entitled to compensation for those financial losses.
- Rehabilitation expenses. The at-fault party could be responsible for any vocational training costs and/or the potential lifetime amount of wages the victim would have earned. Your Brooklyn car accident lawyer can explain to you how future income amounts are calculated if you qualify for those damages.
Other losses a victim is entitled to receive do not actually have a dollar amount which can be assigned to them, but they are just as important to make a victim “whole” again. These losses can include compensation for the victim’s pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of ability to enjoy activities, permanent disability, scarring, disfigurement, and loss of consortium or companionship.
In some cases, a victim may also be awarded punitive damages. One type of accident where punitive damages are sometimes awarded is a drunk driving accident. These damages are meant to both punish the at-fault party and send a message to society that this type of behavior is unacceptable. A car accident lawyer Brooklyn NY locals turn to can determine if your case could qualify for punitive damages.
Schedule a Consultation with a Car Accident Lawyer in Brooklyn NY
For decades, we have been helping people get justice for their pain and suffering. If you would like to find out how we might be able to help you, please call a car accident lawyer Brooklyn NY trusts, like Laurence C. Tarowsky Attorney At Law, at 212-947-2099.