The effects of a traumatic brain injury on both the victim and his or her family can be devastating, as a brain injury attorney New York NY trusts can attest. That’s why personal injury cases involving a head or brain injury can so complex. If you or someone close to you has sustained a brain injury as the result of someone else’s negligence, you need the help of an attorney who’s equipped to handle matters relating to brain injury law. And in Manhattan, the lawyer to trust is Laurence C. Tarowsky Attorney At Law.
Common Causes of Brain Injuries
People suffer brain injuries on a daily basis, as a brain injury attorney in New York NY knows. Some of these injuries are fairly minor while others are life-changing. Some common causes of brain injuries include:
- Car Accidents: Car accidents cause a large portion of brain injuries. Drivers and passengers are in danger of suffering these injuries if they hit their heads on a steering wheel or another object during an accident.
- Medical Malpractice: Severe cases of medical malpractice could lead to brain injuries. For example, if an anesthesiologist gave a patient too much or too little anesthesia, the patient could experience brain damage as a result.
- Assault: Physical assault is another common cause of brain injuries. Individuals who suffer brain injuries from assault often experience emotional trauma in addition to physical injury.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Brain injuries can also result from slip and fall accidents. There are certain conditions that can lead to these types of accidents, including ice, water, loose carpeting, and uneven surfaces.
Why You May Want to Hire a New York Brain Injury Attorney
Although you can file a brain injury lawsuit without legal representation, it’s not recommended. A brain injury attorney New York NY relies on may advocate on your behalf during litigation, and this can be very beneficial when the stakes are so high. Additional benefits of hiring a brain injury attorney include:
- Communicate With Insurance Companies: It isn’t recommended to speak with insurance companies without consulting your lawyer first. Insurance companies are in the business of making money, so they may do whatever it takes to give you a low settlement. A lawyer may negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf, whether this means engaging in negotiations or taking the case to trial.
- Assist With Paperwork: In order to file a brain injury lawsuit, you must first file the necessary paperwork. It’s often in the best interest of injured accident victims to hire a brain injury attorney New York NY can provide to assist with this task.
- Reduce Stress: Bringing a lawsuit takes more work than you may think. You already suffered a terrible injury; you don’t need the added stress of bringing a lawsuit. A brain injury attorney New York NY depends on can handle the more stressful aspects of filing a claim so that the injured victim can focus on healing.
Statute of Limitations for Brain Injury Lawsuits
If you plan to file a brain injury lawsuit, it’s important to be aware of the statute of limitations. In New York, the statute of limitations to file a personal injury lawsuit is generally three years. If a brain injury was caused by medical malpractice, there may be even less time to file a claim. That’s why you may want to schedule a consultation with a brain injury attorney New York NY residents trust as soon as possible. Your lawyer may review your case and help you file your lawsuit on time.
Laurence C. Tarowsky Attorney At Law is dedicated to helping individuals impacted by traumatic brain injuries work through the confusing and emotional legal issues surrounding these injuries and their life-altering effects. If you or someone you love is facing a legal battle involving a brain injury, don’t try to handle it on your own. Laurence C. Tarowsky Attorney At Law is on hand to help guide you through this difficult and confusing time while working to achieve the best possible outcome for your case. Call today to schedule your consultation with a brain injury attorney New York, NY families rely on.