If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, you might be wondering if it’s time to speak with a team of slip and fall attorneys Brooklyn NY residents turn to for trusted counsel. At Laurence C. Tarowsky Attorney At Law, we know that many of our clients understand the basics of premises liability — but many others do not. If you have additional questions regarding slip and fall accidents, please don’t hesitate to contact our firm at your earliest convenience to speak with trusted slip and fall attorneys in Brooklyn NY.
Landowners are responsible for ensuring that their properties — whether business premises or personal residences — are reasonably safe. When you slip and fall on another person’s property, the owner may be liable for any injuries you suffer, including:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Neck injuries
- Brain Injuries
The injuries you suffer in a slip and fall accident can cause physical and emotional pain and suffering, and can result in lost wages and hefty medical bills.
What is considered “reasonably safe” in a slip and fall case?
A viable slip and fall claim hinges on the argument that a landowner did not keep their property “reasonably safe.” But what exactly does this mean? What one person considers to be “reasonably safe” might not fit another person’s definition.
When it comes to slip and fall injury claims, the law assesses if the property owner knew, or should have known, about the danger and if he/she subsequently took action to correct it. Brooklyn slip and fall attorneys will also assess the injured person’s involvement in the accident and whether he/she was reasonably careful on the property.
In many premises liability claims, the landowner was not aware of the danger on their property. In these cases, slip and fall attorneys Brooklyn NY can provide may look to answer:
- Was the dangerous condition something that the property owner would have had control over? Inclement weather, for example, often causes slip and fall injuries but is not something that a property owner could control.
- Did the dangerous condition exist long enough that the property should have known about it?
- If a foreign object on the ground caused the injury, was there a valid reason for this object to be there?
- If the injury was related to building or premises disrepair, does the property owner regularly inspect the premises for damage and necessary repairs?
In cases where the property owner knew about the dangerous conditions, a personal injury lawyer might seek to answer:
- Was there any way that the property owner could have warned visitors about the damage?
- Did the property owner have concrete plans in place to repair the damage?
- Did an unnecessary amount of time pass between when the property owner discovered the damage and when he/she arranged for repairs to be made?
Additionally, experienced slip and fall attorneys Brooklyn NY has to offer would examine if the injured party was reasonably careful on the premises.
- An injured person must have had a valid reason for being on the property — someone who was knowingly trespassing wouldn’t have a tenable injury claim.
- Visitors, just like landowners, are expected to demonstrate reasonable care. A visitor who failed to pay attention to a barrier or warning sign, for example, likely wouldn’t have a strong claim.
There are many factors that come into play when determining reasonable care. If you have any questions or concerns about how this might affect your own injury claim, consulting with a slip and fall lawyer is often the wisest way to proceed.
Contact Laurence C. Tarowsky Attorney At Law
If you’ve fallen on another person’s property as the result of landowner negligence, slip and fall attorneys Brooklyn NY residents depend on may be able to assist you in recovering damages for your injuries. By pursuing litigation against a negligent property owner, you may be able to help prevent other people from being injured in the same way that you were.
Many slip and fall accidents occur due to dangerous or hazardous conditions on other people’s property. If you’ve been a victim, contact Laurence C. Tarowsky Attorney At Law to have your case assessed by one of the top slip and fall attorneys Brooklyn NY trusts.