New Yorkers rely on truck drivers every day, whether they know it or not. They depend on truckers to deliver their produce, home goods, and more, while retail stores depend on truck drivers to supply them with their merchandise. Truckers are a focal point in the seller-consumer cycle, which is why they deserve great respect. Generally, truck drivers conduct themselves in a respectable, safe manner. However, due to 70-hour workweeks and the immense pressure they face from their trucking companies to make all their stops on time, truck drivers sometimes behave recklessly. If you have been injured in a truck accident, there is a good chance you are now recovering from severe injuries, and are therefore looking into financial compensation.
What are the most common types of truck accidents?
- Rear-end crashes: Since trucks are so much heavier than virtually any other vehicle on the road, a rear-end accident may send another car flying, or even start a domino effect of rear-end accidents.
- Head-on collisions: These occur when a trucker is driving on the wrong side of the road. If you have been involved in a head-on collision with a truck, it would be a miracle if you were not severely injured. This is why you will almost always recover compensation in this scenario.
- Rollover accidents: These generally occur when a truck is making a turn too quickly.
- Jackknife collisions: These happen when a trailer swings independently of the cab, with both sections of the tractor-trailer moving in opposite directions.
- Blindspot accidents: Trucks are notorious for having large blind spots. (This is why many trucks have a bumper sticker that says, “If you can’t see me, I can’t see you.”) Sometimes, when a truck driver is changing lanes, he or she will not see the adjacent vehicles, causing an accident.
- Wide turn accidents: These generally occur when a truck driver swings left to make a right turn. This sometimes causes a truck to collide with the cars to its right.
How do I recover compensation following a New York truck accident?
Generally, when filing a personal injury claim, you will recover financial compensation if you can prove that you were injured due to another party’s negligence. However, when you are injured in a truck accident, the larger trucking companies and their insurance companies will most likely retain a team of legal experts who will vigorously combat your claim. This is why you need an equally aggressive attorney who will fight on your behalf. An attorney will help you gather all the necessary evidence to help prove your claim and reward you with the compensation you deserve. This is your best opportunity to successfully recover compensation on your claim.
Contact our Experienced New York Law Firm
If you or a family member have been injured as a result of a truck accident and wish to speak with an attorney, contact the Law Offices of Laurence C. Tarowsky today.